Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14768 'Clan Mackenzie' at Buchanan Street, June 1938
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_009_750
PLACENAME
Glasgow
DATE OF IMAGE
21 June 1938
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26178
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14768 'Clan Mackenzie' at Buchanan Street, June 1938

The last class of locomotive built for the Highland Railway was the 'Clan' class of 4-6-0 passenger engines. Designed by Christopher Cumming, the first four (numbered 49, 51, 52 & 53) were delivered in 1919 and four more (numbered 54 to 57) were delivered in 1921. Built by Hawthorn Leslie & Co. in Newcastle, all members of the class survived into LMS ownership but only one was still working after the formation of British Railways.

This photograph shows LMS 14768 'Clan Mackenzie' (formerly HR 56) at Buchanan Street station in Glasgow in June 1938. It continued in service until being withdrawn in March 1945.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14768 'Clan Mackenzie' at Buchanan Street, June 1938

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 5 (Cumming classes)

The last class of locomotive built for the Highland Railway was the 'Clan' class of 4-6-0 passenger engines. Designed by Christopher Cumming, the first four (numbered 49, 51, 52 & 53) were delivered in 1919 and four more (numbered 54 to 57) were delivered in 1921. Built by Hawthorn Leslie & Co. in Newcastle, all members of the class survived into LMS ownership but only one was still working after the formation of British Railways.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14768 'Clan Mackenzie' (formerly HR 56) at Buchanan Street station in Glasgow in June 1938. It continued in service until being withdrawn in March 1945.