Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aberfeldy engine shed with class 26 diesel taking water
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_004
PLACENAME
Aberfeldy
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Dull
DATE OF IMAGE
January 1965
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
N Forrest
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26740
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
British Railways
HRS
Aberfeldy engine shed with class 26 diesel taking water

The locomotive is an unidentified Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Type 2 (later class 26) diesel. These and British Railways built class 24 dominated the Highland scene from mid-1960 through the 60's and 70's. Note the tablet catcher for automatic exchange of the tokens ensuring only one train has access to a single line section of railway. Diesels required water for a boiler to power the stem heating in the carriages. The shed in the picture replaced the original which burnt down in 1902.

Aberfeldy station was the terminus of the 14 kilometre long Aberfeldy branch which left the main line at Ballinluig. It opened on 3 July 1865, closing to passengers almost a century later on 3 May 1965, goods traffic having ceased on 26 January that year.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aberfeldy engine shed with class 26 diesel taking water

PERTH: Dull

1960s

Highland Railway; British Railways; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

The locomotive is an unidentified Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Type 2 (later class 26) diesel. These and British Railways built class 24 dominated the Highland scene from mid-1960 through the 60's and 70's. Note the tablet catcher for automatic exchange of the tokens ensuring only one train has access to a single line section of railway. Diesels required water for a boiler to power the stem heating in the carriages. The shed in the picture replaced the original which burnt down in 1902.<br /> <br /> Aberfeldy station was the terminus of the 14 kilometre long Aberfeldy branch which left the main line at Ballinluig. It opened on 3 July 1865, closing to passengers almost a century later on 3 May 1965, goods traffic having ceased on 26 January that year.