Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aberfeldy Station mixed train about to depart
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_013
PLACENAME
Aberfeldy
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Dull
DATE OF IMAGE
12 July 1957
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
R M Casserley
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26749
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
British Railways
HRS
Aberfeldy Station mixed train about to depart

The locomotive has run round the train preparatory to pulling it back to the east. This is a mixed train conveying passengers and parcels together with goods, the last in open wagons. Mixed trains were common on the ex- Highland Railway system away from the main line. The locomotive is an ex Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T of the type used on the branch for thirty some years until the coming of the diesels in the early 1960s. Photograph also shows the other bays in the station containing an unidentified vehicle and a brake van.

Aberfeldy station was the terminus of the 14 kilometre long Aberfeldy branch which left the main line at Ballinluig. It opened on 3 July 1865, closing to passengers almost a century later on 3 May 1965, goods traffic having ceased on 26 January that year.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aberfeldy Station mixed train about to depart

PERTH: Dull

1950s

Highland Railway; British Railways; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

The locomotive has run round the train preparatory to pulling it back to the east. This is a mixed train conveying passengers and parcels together with goods, the last in open wagons. Mixed trains were common on the ex- Highland Railway system away from the main line. The locomotive is an ex Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T of the type used on the branch for thirty some years until the coming of the diesels in the early 1960s. Photograph also shows the other bays in the station containing an unidentified vehicle and a brake van.<br /> <br /> Aberfeldy station was the terminus of the 14 kilometre long Aberfeldy branch which left the main line at Ballinluig. It opened on 3 July 1865, closing to passengers almost a century later on 3 May 1965, goods traffic having ceased on 26 January that year.