Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aberfeldy Station loco shed and water column
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_014
PLACENAME
Aberfeldy
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Dull
DATE OF IMAGE
12 July 1957
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
R M Casserley
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26750
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HRS
Aberfeldy Station loco shed and water column

The engine shed dates from 1902 when its predecessor burnt down. The water column for filling the tanks of steam locomotives is of standard Highland Railway design, having a double column to allow a burner to be inserted to prevent the pipe from freezing in winter.

Aberfeldy station was the terminus of the 14 kilometre long Aberfeldy branch which left the main line at Ballinluig. It opened on 3 July 1865, closing to passengers almost a century later on 3 May 1965, goods traffic having ceased on 26 January that year.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aberfeldy Station loco shed and water column

PERTH: Dull

1950s

Highland Railway; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

The engine shed dates from 1902 when its predecessor burnt down. The water column for filling the tanks of steam locomotives is of standard Highland Railway design, having a double column to allow a burner to be inserted to prevent the pipe from freezing in winter.<br /> <br /> Aberfeldy station was the terminus of the 14 kilometre long Aberfeldy branch which left the main line at Ballinluig. It opened on 3 July 1865, closing to passengers almost a century later on 3 May 1965, goods traffic having ceased on 26 January that year.