Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aberfeldy Station D5336 taking water
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_025
PLACENAME
Aberfeldy
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Dull
DATE OF IMAGE
January 1965
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
N Forrest
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26761
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
British Railways
HRS
Aberfeldy Station D5336 taking water

The locomotive is taking water from the old Highland Railway water crane installed to provide for steam engines. This is a standard Highland Railway column now missing its cap. These had a dual column to allow a burner to be put in to stop the pipe freezing in winter. Diesels needed water for boilers for the steam heating in the carriages.

D5336 is a Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Type 2 (later class 26) diesel. These and British Railways built class 24 dominated the Highland scene from mid-1960 through the 60's and 70's. Note the tablet catcher fitted to the locomotive for single line working. This is the last month of freight working to Aberfeldy.

Aberfeldy station was the terminus of the 14 kilometre long Aberfeldy branch which left the main line at Ballinluig. It opened on 3 July 1865, closing to passengers almost a century later on 3 May 1965, goods traffic having ceased on 26 January that year.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aberfeldy Station D5336 taking water

PERTH: Dull

1960s

Highland Railway; British Railways; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

The locomotive is taking water from the old Highland Railway water crane installed to provide for steam engines. This is a standard Highland Railway column now missing its cap. These had a dual column to allow a burner to be put in to stop the pipe freezing in winter. Diesels needed water for boilers for the steam heating in the carriages. <br /> <br /> D5336 is a Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Type 2 (later class 26) diesel. These and British Railways built class 24 dominated the Highland scene from mid-1960 through the 60's and 70's. Note the tablet catcher fitted to the locomotive for single line working. This is the last month of freight working to Aberfeldy.<br /> <br /> Aberfeldy station was the terminus of the 14 kilometre long Aberfeldy branch which left the main line at Ballinluig. It opened on 3 July 1865, closing to passengers almost a century later on 3 May 1965, goods traffic having ceased on 26 January that year.