Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Train with observation car near Achanalt
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_032
PLACENAME
Achanalt
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Contin
PERIOD
c1990s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26768
KEYWORDS
Achanault
Highland Railway
Dingwall and Skye Railway
Kyle Line
HRS
Train with observation car near Achanalt

Train hauled by a 'black 5' steam locomotive pulling observation car in Strath Bran near Achanalt. This is undated but is a preservation era photograph.

Nearby Achanalt Station is on the Dingwall and Skye Railway, better known as the Kyle Line. It lies a little over 34 kilometres west of Dingwall. Originally spelt Achanault, it opened for goods on 9 August 1870 and for passengers on the 19th, it is still open for passengers (as a request stop) in 2008, though not for goods since 2 November 1964. There was a passing loop to enable trains to pass on the single line but this was removed in 1966.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Train with observation car near Achanalt

ROSS: Contin

c1990s

Achanault; Highland Railway; Dingwall and Skye Railway; Kyle Line; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Train hauled by a 'black 5' steam locomotive pulling observation car in Strath Bran near Achanalt. This is undated but is a preservation era photograph.<br /> <br /> Nearby Achanalt Station is on the Dingwall and Skye Railway, better known as the Kyle Line. It lies a little over 34 kilometres west of Dingwall. Originally spelt Achanault, it opened for goods on 9 August 1870 and for passengers on the 19th, it is still open for passengers (as a request stop) in 2008, though not for goods since 2 November 1964. There was a passing loop to enable trains to pass on the single line but this was removed in 1966.