Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Achnashellach shunting 1937
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_058
PLACENAME
Achnashellach
DISTRICT
Lochcarron
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochcarron
DATE OF IMAGE
18 June 1937
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
H C Casserley
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26793
KEYWORDS
Dingwall and Skye Railway
Highland Railway
London Midland and Scottish Railway
superheated goods
Clan goods
Achnashellach shunting 1937

Locomotive shunting while working the 4.05 p.m. Inverness to Kyle train.

Achnashellach (also spelt Auchnashellach) Station, lies 64 kilometres from Dingwall on the line to Kyle of Lochalsh opened on 19 August 1870 and is still open for passengers in 2008. Goods service ceased on 27 January 1964. it was the scene of a runaway train in 1892 caused by the Highland's lack of a continuous brake and its habit of putting goods wagons at the front of mixed passenger and goods trains. It had a loop where east and westbound trains could pass but this was removed in 1966.

17956 (originally HR 81) was a superheated goods 4-6-0 class locomotive designed under the auspices of Christopher Cumming and built in 1919 by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. These began working on the Kyle line in 1928 and were closely associated with that line until their withdrawal in 1952.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Achnashellach shunting 1937

ROSS: Lochcarron

1930s

Dingwall and Skye Railway; Highland Railway; London Midland and Scottish Railway; superheated goods; Clan goods

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Locomotive shunting while working the 4.05 p.m. Inverness to Kyle train.<br /> <br /> Achnashellach (also spelt Auchnashellach) Station, lies 64 kilometres from Dingwall on the line to Kyle of Lochalsh opened on 19 August 1870 and is still open for passengers in 2008. Goods service ceased on 27 January 1964. it was the scene of a runaway train in 1892 caused by the Highland's lack of a continuous brake and its habit of putting goods wagons at the front of mixed passenger and goods trains. It had a loop where east and westbound trains could pass but this was removed in 1966.<br /> <br /> 17956 (originally HR 81) was a superheated goods 4-6-0 class locomotive designed under the auspices of Christopher Cumming and built in 1919 by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. These began working on the Kyle line in 1928 and were closely associated with that line until their withdrawal in 1952.