Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Achnashellach Station looking west 1930's
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_061
PLACENAME
Achnashellach
DISTRICT
Lochcarron
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochcarron
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26796
KEYWORDS
Dingwall and Skye Railway
Highland Railway
London Midland and Scottish Railway
LMS
HRS
Achnashellach Station looking west 1930's

General view looking west. Note the water tower for replenishing locomotives in the distance.

Achnashellach (also spelt Auchnashellach) Station, lies 64 kilometres from Dingwall on the line to Kyle of Lochalsh opened on 19 August 1870 and is still open for passengers in 2008. Goods service ceased on 27 January 1964. it was the scene of a runaway train in 1892 caused by the Highland's lack of a continuous brake and its habit of putting goods wagons at the front of mixed passenger and goods trains. It had a loop where east and westbound trains could pass but this was removed in 1966.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Achnashellach Station looking west 1930's

ROSS: Lochcarron

1930s

Dingwall and Skye Railway; Highland Railway; London Midland and Scottish Railway; LMS; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

General view looking west. Note the water tower for replenishing locomotives in the distance.<br /> <br /> Achnashellach (also spelt Auchnashellach) Station, lies 64 kilometres from Dingwall on the line to Kyle of Lochalsh opened on 19 August 1870 and is still open for passengers in 2008. Goods service ceased on 27 January 1964. it was the scene of a runaway train in 1892 caused by the Highland's lack of a continuous brake and its habit of putting goods wagons at the front of mixed passenger and goods trains. It had a loop where east and westbound trains could pass but this was removed in 1966.