Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Loch Laggan' entering Achterneed Station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_065
PLACENAME
Achterneed
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
CREATOR
LGRP
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26800
KEYWORDS
London Midland and Scottish
trains
railway engines
railway stations
'Loch Laggan' entering Achterneed Station

This photograph shows Highland Railway locomotive 'Loch Laggan' entering Achterneed station.

'Loch Laggan' was one of 15 Loch class locomotives built for the Highland by Dübs and Company in Glasgow. It was designated HR 124 and LMS 14384. This photograph is from its LMS days. Loch class locos were small 4-4-0s designed by David Jones. The 15 built by Dübs and Co were introduced into service in 1896. They were used predominantly on lines north of Inverness. Three more were built in 1917 by Dübs' successor, the North British Locomotive Company.

Achterneed Station was sited to the north of Strathpeffer between Dingwall and Garve and was called Strathpeffer until 1 June 1885. It opened to goods traffic on 9 August 1870 and to passenger traffic ten days later. It operated until 1964 when it was closed to goods traffic on 18 May and to passenger traffic on 7 December.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Loch Laggan' entering Achterneed Station

ROSS: Dingwall

London Midland and Scottish; trains; railway engines; railway stations

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows Highland Railway locomotive 'Loch Laggan' entering Achterneed station.<br /> <br /> 'Loch Laggan' was one of 15 Loch class locomotives built for the Highland by Dübs and Company in Glasgow. It was designated HR 124 and LMS 14384. This photograph is from its LMS days. Loch class locos were small 4-4-0s designed by David Jones. The 15 built by Dübs and Co were introduced into service in 1896. They were used predominantly on lines north of Inverness. Three more were built in 1917 by Dübs' successor, the North British Locomotive Company.<br /> <br /> Achterneed Station was sited to the north of Strathpeffer between Dingwall and Garve and was called Strathpeffer until 1 June 1885. It opened to goods traffic on 9 August 1870 and to passenger traffic ten days later. It operated until 1964 when it was closed to goods traffic on 18 May and to passenger traffic on 7 December.