Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Allangrange Station site with special train and HR 103, 1960
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_069
PLACENAME
Avoch
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Knockbain
DATE OF IMAGE
14 June 1960
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26804
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
London Midland and Scottish Railway
LMS
big goods
Jones goods
103
Fortrose
Black Isle Branch
HRS
Allangrange Station site with special train and HR 103,  1960

Taken the day after good services ceased and nine years after the last passenger train, this shows an enthusiast special at the platform and the remains of the station buildings.

Allangrange Station lay 8 kilometres from the main line at Muir of Ord on the Black Isle branch which terminated at Fortrose. It opened on 1 February 1894, closing to passengers on 1 October 1951 and to goods on 13 June 1960.

The locomotive is preserved Highland Railway 103, the first 4-6-0 locomotive to run in Great Britain. The big goods was designed by David Jones and built by Sharp Stewart of Glasgow in 1894, they were at the time the most powerful locomotives at work in Britain. 103 today (2008) is no longer in working order and resides in the Transport Museum in Glasgow

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Allangrange Station site with special train and HR 103, 1960

ROSS: Knockbain

1960s

Highland Railway; London Midland and Scottish Railway; LMS; big goods; Jones goods; 103; Fortrose; Black Isle Branch; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Taken the day after good services ceased and nine years after the last passenger train, this shows an enthusiast special at the platform and the remains of the station buildings.<br /> <br /> Allangrange Station lay 8 kilometres from the main line at Muir of Ord on the Black Isle branch which terminated at Fortrose. It opened on 1 February 1894, closing to passengers on 1 October 1951 and to goods on 13 June 1960.<br /> <br /> The locomotive is preserved Highland Railway 103, the first 4-6-0 locomotive to run in Great Britain. The big goods was designed by David Jones and built by Sharp Stewart of Glasgow in 1894, they were at the time the most powerful locomotives at work in Britain. 103 today (2008) is no longer in working order and resides in the Transport Museum in Glasgow