Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 8 'Ben Clebrig' and 142 'Dunrobin Castle' at Aviemore, 1912
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_105
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
1912
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26840
KEYWORDS
railway stations
HRS
HR 8 'Ben Clebrig' and 142 'Dunrobin Castle' at Aviemore, 1912

This photograph shows two Highland Railway locomotives on a northbound train at Aviemore in 1912.

HR 8 'Ben Clebrig' was one of the class of locomotive known as the 'Small Bens' and was built in 1899. It was numbered 14404 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1950. Its BR number was 54404. 142 'Dunrobin Castle' was built in 1900. It was numbered 14677 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1939.

Aviemore station is on the main line between Perth and Inverness. The first station was opened by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway on 3 August 1863. A new station was built by the Highland Railway in 1898 to coincide with the opening of the new, more direct, route to Inverness. This made Aviemore an important junction and it was from this time that the town of Aviemore began to develop. The station underwent major refurbishment in 1998.

It is also the southern terminus of the Strathspey Railway (a preservation railway).

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 8 'Ben Clebrig' and 142 'Dunrobin Castle' at Aviemore, 1912

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1910s

railway stations; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows two Highland Railway locomotives on a northbound train at Aviemore in 1912.<br /> <br /> HR 8 'Ben Clebrig' was one of the class of locomotive known as the 'Small Bens' and was built in 1899. It was numbered 14404 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1950. Its BR number was 54404. 142 'Dunrobin Castle' was built in 1900. It was numbered 14677 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1939.<br /> <br /> Aviemore station is on the main line between Perth and Inverness. The first station was opened by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway on 3 August 1863. A new station was built by the Highland Railway in 1898 to coincide with the opening of the new, more direct, route to Inverness. This made Aviemore an important junction and it was from this time that the town of Aviemore began to develop. The station underwent major refurbishment in 1998.<br /> <br /> It is also the southern terminus of the Strathspey Railway (a preservation railway).