Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Preserved BR 75014 on the Strathspey Railway, September 2000
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_132
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
September 2000
PERIOD
2000s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26866
KEYWORDS
railway stations
HRS
Preserved BR 75014 on the Strathspey Railway, September 2000

This photograph shows a preserved British Railways 4-6-0 locomotive, 75014, on the Strathspey Railway at Aviemore. The loco was built at Swindon in 1951 and withdrawn from service in 1966.

The station is on the main line between Perth and Inverness. The first station at Aviemore was opened by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway on 3 August 1863. A new station was built by the Highland Railway in 1898 to coincide with the opening of the new, more direct, route to Inverness. This made Aviemore an important junction and it was from this time that the town of Aviemore began to develop. The station underwent major refurbishment in 1998.

It is also the southern terminus of the Strathspey Railway (a preservation railway).

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Preserved BR 75014 on the Strathspey Railway, September 2000

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

2000s

railway stations; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a preserved British Railways 4-6-0 locomotive, 75014, on the Strathspey Railway at Aviemore. The loco was built at Swindon in 1951 and withdrawn from service in 1966.<br /> <br /> The station is on the main line between Perth and Inverness. The first station at Aviemore was opened by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway on 3 August 1863. A new station was built by the Highland Railway in 1898 to coincide with the opening of the new, more direct, route to Inverness. This made Aviemore an important junction and it was from this time that the town of Aviemore began to develop. The station underwent major refurbishment in 1998.<br /> <br /> It is also the southern terminus of the Strathspey Railway (a preservation railway).