Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Three locomotives outside Aviemore shed
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_141
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26874
KEYWORDS
railway stations
HRS
Three locomotives outside Aviemore shed

This photograph shows three Highland Railway locomotives outside Aviemore shed in LMS days. From left to right is 14681 'Skibo Castle' (formerly HR 146); 14677 'Dunrobin Castle' (formerly 142) and 14522 'Snaigow' (formerly HR 73).

Aviemore station is on the main line between Perth and Inverness. The first station was opened by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway on 3 August 1863. A new station was built by the Highland Railway in 1898 to coincide with the opening of the new, more direct, route to Inverness. This made Aviemore an important junction and it was from this time that the town of Aviemore began to develop. The station underwent major refurbishment in 1998.

It is also the southern terminus of the Strathspey Railway (a preservation railway).

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Three locomotives outside Aviemore shed

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

railway stations; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows three Highland Railway locomotives outside Aviemore shed in LMS days. From left to right is 14681 'Skibo Castle' (formerly HR 146); 14677 'Dunrobin Castle' (formerly 142) and 14522 'Snaigow' (formerly HR 73).<br /> <br /> Aviemore station is on the main line between Perth and Inverness. The first station was opened by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway on 3 August 1863. A new station was built by the Highland Railway in 1898 to coincide with the opening of the new, more direct, route to Inverness. This made Aviemore an important junction and it was from this time that the town of Aviemore began to develop. The station underwent major refurbishment in 1998.<br /> <br /> It is also the southern terminus of the Strathspey Railway (a preservation railway).