Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A Railtour Special at Avoch, June 1960
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_146
PLACENAME
Avoch
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Avoch
DATE OF IMAGE
14 June 1960
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26878
KEYWORDS
railway stations
A Railtour Special at Avoch, June 1960

This photograph shows BR 57594 on a Railtour special at Avoch. The photograph was taken on 14 June 1960, the day after the line was officially closed.

The locomotive, a Caledonian Railway 812 class 0-6-0, had been built in 1900 and was numbered CR 856. After the grouping it became LMS 17594. It continued in service until being withdrawn in 1962.

Avoch was a stop on the Black Isle Branch of the Highland Railway which opened in February 1894. The line closed to passenger services in October 1951 and to goods services in June 1960.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A Railtour Special at Avoch, June 1960

ROSS: Avoch

1960s

railway stations

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows BR 57594 on a Railtour special at Avoch. The photograph was taken on 14 June 1960, the day after the line was officially closed.<br /> <br /> The locomotive, a Caledonian Railway 812 class 0-6-0, had been built in 1900 and was numbered CR 856. After the grouping it became LMS 17594. It continued in service until being withdrawn in 1962.<br /> <br /> Avoch was a stop on the Black Isle Branch of the Highland Railway which opened in February 1894. The line closed to passenger services in October 1951 and to goods services in June 1960.