Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 10 and an unidentified Castle class loco on train at Blair Atholl
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_204
PLACENAME
Blair Atholl
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Blair Atholl
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26926
KEYWORDS
railway stations
locomotives
trains
HR 10 and an unidentified Castle class loco on train at Blair Atholl

This photograph shows HR 10, 'Ben Slioch', and an unidentified Castle class loco on train at Blair Atholl. The rear of the starter signals can also be seen.

'Ben Slioch' was part of the Highland Railway's second batch of the class that became known as the Small Bens. It was built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901.

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

Blair Atholl Station, on the main Perth to Inverness line, was opened in September 1863. For the first few years of its existence the name was spelt Blair Athole. It closed to goods services in November 1966 but is still a station stop for regular passenger services.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 10 and an unidentified Castle class loco on train at Blair Atholl

PERTH: Blair Atholl

railway stations; locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows HR 10, 'Ben Slioch', and an unidentified Castle class loco on train at Blair Atholl. The rear of the starter signals can also be seen.<br /> <br /> 'Ben Slioch' was part of the Highland Railway's second batch of the class that became known as the Small Bens. It was built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901.<br /> <br /> The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> Blair Atholl Station, on the main Perth to Inverness line, was opened in September 1863. For the first few years of its existence the name was spelt Blair Athole. It closed to goods services in November 1966 but is still a station stop for regular passenger services.