Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
BR 62277 'Gordon Highlander' on train at Boat of Garten, 1953
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_213
PLACENAME
Boat of Garten
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
1953
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26933
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
locomotives
BR 62277 'Gordon Highlander' on train at Boat of Garten, 1953

This photograph shows BR 62277 'Gordon Highlander' on train in a bay at Boat of Garten station in 1953.

The locomotive was built in 1920 by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and was one of the last designs of Great North of Scotland Railway passenger locomotives. Nicknamed 'The Soldier', it was withdrawn for preservation in 1958. It was used for steam excursions until June 1966 when it was placed in the Glasgow Transport Museum.

Boat of Garten station was originally a junction between the Highland Railway's main line from Perth to Forres and the Great North of Scotland Railway's branch to Craigellachie. It opened in August 1863 and was closed in 1965. However, the stretch of line between Aviemore and Boat of Garten was reopened by the preservation railway, the Strathspey Railway, which began running trains in 1978. There are two passenger platforms and the yard stores the majority of the Strathspey Railway's rolling stock.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

BR 62277 'Gordon Highlander' on train at Boat of Garten, 1953

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1950s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows BR 62277 'Gordon Highlander' on train in a bay at Boat of Garten station in 1953.<br /> <br /> The locomotive was built in 1920 by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and was one of the last designs of Great North of Scotland Railway passenger locomotives. Nicknamed 'The Soldier', it was withdrawn for preservation in 1958. It was used for steam excursions until June 1966 when it was placed in the Glasgow Transport Museum. <br /> <br /> Boat of Garten station was originally a junction between the Highland Railway's main line from Perth to Forres and the Great North of Scotland Railway's branch to Craigellachie. It opened in August 1863 and was closed in 1965. However, the stretch of line between Aviemore and Boat of Garten was reopened by the preservation railway, the Strathspey Railway, which began running trains in 1978. There are two passenger platforms and the yard stores the majority of the Strathspey Railway's rolling stock.