Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
BR 44972 on a mail train at Boat of Garten, September 1949
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_222
PLACENAME
Boat of Garten
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
20 September 1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26941
KEYWORDS
railway stations
trains
locomotives
BR 44972 on a mail train at Boat of Garten, September 1949

This is a view of the north end of Boat of Garten station. BR 44972, a Black Five, can be seen on an up mail train.

The station was originally a junction between the Highland Railway's main line from Perth to Forres and the Great North of Scotland Railway's branch to Craigellachie. It opened in August 1863 and was closed in 1965. However, the stretch of line between Aviemore and Boat of Garten was reopened by the preservation railway, the Strathspey Railway, which began running trains in 1978. There are two passenger platforms and the yard stores the majority of the Strathspey Railway's rolling stock.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

BR 44972 on a mail train at Boat of Garten, September 1949

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1940s

railway stations; trains; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This is a view of the north end of Boat of Garten station. BR 44972, a Black Five, can be seen on an up mail train.<br /> <br /> The station was originally a junction between the Highland Railway's main line from Perth to Forres and the Great North of Scotland Railway's branch to Craigellachie. It opened in August 1863 and was closed in 1965. However, the stretch of line between Aviemore and Boat of Garten was reopened by the preservation railway, the Strathspey Railway, which began running trains in 1978. There are two passenger platforms and the yard stores the majority of the Strathspey Railway's rolling stock.