Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Train at Brodie Station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_237
PLACENAME
Brodie
DISTRICT
Forres
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
1935
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26955
KEYWORDS
Keith line
Highland Railway
Train at Brodie Station

This photograph shows a passenger train bound for Inverness at Brodie Station on the railway line between Nairn and Forres in 1935. The photographer is looking east.

The station was opened on 22 December 1857 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway and closed to passengers on 3 May 1965 and to goods on 28 December 1964. The station was located close to the main A96 road. The level crossing carried the minor road to Brodie Castle. The station building is typical of those built by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway and is extant in private ownership.

The leading locomotive is an ex-Highland Railway Barney 0-6-0 No. 17702. The Barneys were the only 0-6-0 tender engine on the Highland Railway. There were 12 locomotives of this design, built between 1900 and 1907, and used mainly on the lines from Inverness to Keith and to Wick and Thurso, where the gradients were less than on the main line to Perth. The last member of the class was withdrawn in 1952. No. 17702 was built in 1902 as Highland Railway No. 21 and withdrawn in October 1949.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Train at Brodie Station

MORAYSHIRE

1930s

Keith line; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a passenger train bound for Inverness at Brodie Station on the railway line between Nairn and Forres in 1935. The photographer is looking east. <br /> <br /> The station was opened on 22 December 1857 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway and closed to passengers on 3 May 1965 and to goods on 28 December 1964. The station was located close to the main A96 road. The level crossing carried the minor road to Brodie Castle. The station building is typical of those built by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway and is extant in private ownership.<br /> <br /> The leading locomotive is an ex-Highland Railway Barney 0-6-0 No. 17702. The Barneys were the only 0-6-0 tender engine on the Highland Railway. There were 12 locomotives of this design, built between 1900 and 1907, and used mainly on the lines from Inverness to Keith and to Wick and Thurso, where the gradients were less than on the main line to Perth. The last member of the class was withdrawn in 1952. No. 17702 was built in 1902 as Highland Railway No. 21 and withdrawn in October 1949.