Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Southbound train at Brora Station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_256
PLACENAME
Brora
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Clyne
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1910
PERIOD
1900s; 1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26974
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Highland Railway
Southbound train at Brora Station

This photograph shows a southbound train at Brora Station, on the line to Wick and Thurso and was sold as a commercial postcard.

Brora was opened for passenger services on 1 November 1870 as part of the Duke of Sutherland's Railway. Goods services commenced not long after and were withdrawn in January 1984. The station is served by passenger trains to Wick.

The train is hauled by two locomotives. The leading one is a Small Ben class No. 6 'Ben Armin'. These locomotives were designed by Peter Drummond, his first design for the Highland Railway after taking office in 1896. 20 locomotives to this design were built between 1898 and 1906. They were designed for lighter passenger trains and continued in service until the early 1950s. The second locomotive has not been identified but is an earlier 4-4-0.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Southbound train at Brora Station

SUTHERLAND: Clyne

1900s; 1910s

Far north line; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a southbound train at Brora Station, on the line to Wick and Thurso and was sold as a commercial postcard.<br /> <br /> Brora was opened for passenger services on 1 November 1870 as part of the Duke of Sutherland's Railway. Goods services commenced not long after and were withdrawn in January 1984. The station is served by passenger trains to Wick.<br /> <br /> The train is hauled by two locomotives. The leading one is a Small Ben class No. 6 'Ben Armin'. These locomotives were designed by Peter Drummond, his first design for the Highland Railway after taking office in 1896. 20 locomotives to this design were built between 1898 and 1906. They were designed for lighter passenger trains and continued in service until the early 1950s. The second locomotive has not been identified but is an earlier 4-4-0.