Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Northbound train at Brora Station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_257
PLACENAME
Brora
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Clyne
DATE OF IMAGE
22 September 1984
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
Harold D. Bowtell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26975
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Highland Railway
Northbound train at Brora Station

This photograph shows a northbound train at Brora station, where the railway line to Wick and Thurso leaves the coast to run inland. The locomotive is No. 37011.

Brora was opened for passenger services on 1 November 1870 as part of the Duke of Sutherland's Railway. Goods services commenced not long after and were withdrawn in January 1984. The station is served by passenger trains to Wick.

The Class 37 diesel electric locomotives were built by English Electric for British Railways in the late 1950s and early 1960s. They were introduced on services north of Inverness around 1980 and superseded in the early 1990s.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Northbound train at Brora Station

SUTHERLAND: Clyne

1980s

Far north line; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a northbound train at Brora station, where the railway line to Wick and Thurso leaves the coast to run inland. The locomotive is No. 37011.<br /> <br /> Brora was opened for passenger services on 1 November 1870 as part of the Duke of Sutherland's Railway. Goods services commenced not long after and were withdrawn in January 1984. The station is served by passenger trains to Wick.<br /> <br /> The Class 37 diesel electric locomotives were built by English Electric for British Railways in the late 1950s and early 1960s. They were introduced on services north of Inverness around 1980 and superseded in the early 1990s.