Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Signals at the approach to Burghead
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_265
PLACENAME
Burghead
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1950
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
Henry Orbach/Highland Railway Society
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26983
KEYWORDS
Burghead branch
Highland Railway
Signals at the approach to Burghead

This photograph shows the track just south of Burghead station, with the home signals which controlled entry to the station. The signal on the right gives access to the passenger station and the line on to Hopeman, while the smaller signal on the right controls access to the goods station and harbour.

The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when a new passenger station was opened. Passenger services were withdrawn on 14 September 1931. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location, until withdrawn on 7 November 1966.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Signals at the approach to Burghead

MORAYSHIRE

1950s

Burghead branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the track just south of Burghead station, with the home signals which controlled entry to the station. The signal on the right gives access to the passenger station and the line on to Hopeman, while the smaller signal on the right controls access to the goods station and harbour. <br /> <br /> The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when a new passenger station was opened. Passenger services were withdrawn on 14 September 1931. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location, until withdrawn on 7 November 1966.