Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Burghead Signal Box
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_274
PLACENAME
Burghead
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26992
KEYWORDS
Burghead branch
Highland Railway
Burghead Signal Box

This photograph shows the signal box at Burghead. This was near the later passenger station. The harbour can be seen in the distance.

The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when this passenger station was opened. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location. Passenger services were withdrawn on 14 September 1931 and goods services to Hopeman on 30 December 1957, after which the track through the station was lifted.

In the 1970s, a new grain depot was built at Burghead just beyond the road bridge and track was re-laid through the station. This was used until the 1990s.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Burghead Signal Box

MORAYSHIRE

Burghead branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the signal box at Burghead. This was near the later passenger station. The harbour can be seen in the distance.<br /> <br /> The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when this passenger station was opened. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location. Passenger services were withdrawn on 14 September 1931 and goods services to Hopeman on 30 December 1957, after which the track through the station was lifted. <br /> <br /> In the 1970s, a new grain depot was built at Burghead just beyond the road bridge and track was re-laid through the station. This was used until the 1990s.