Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Burghead, original passenger station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_275
PLACENAME
Burghead
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26993
KEYWORDS
Burghead branch
Highland Railway
Burghead, original passenger station

This photograph shows the original station at Burghead, with the harbour behind the photographer

The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when a new passenger station was opened. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location, until withdrawn on 7 November 1966.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Burghead, original passenger station

MORAYSHIRE

1950s

Burghead branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the original station at Burghead, with the harbour behind the photographer<br /> <br /> The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when a new passenger station was opened. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location, until withdrawn on 7 November 1966.