Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Burghead Engine Shed
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_281
PLACENAME
Burghead
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
1930
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26999
KEYWORDS
Burghead branch
Highland Railway
Burghead Engine Shed

This photograph shows the locomotive shed at Burghead. The photographer is looking south, with the branch on the right of the photo.

The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when a new passenger station was opened. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location, until withdrawn on 7 November 1966.

The locomotive shed dates from 1895, when it replaced a wooden building which had burnt down. Two locomotives were housed here while the branch passenger service still operated. The shed is believed to have closed in 1938.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Burghead Engine Shed

MORAYSHIRE

1930s

Burghead branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the locomotive shed at Burghead. The photographer is looking south, with the branch on the right of the photo.<br /> <br /> The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when a new passenger station was opened. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location, until withdrawn on 7 November 1966. <br /> <br /> The locomotive shed dates from 1895, when it replaced a wooden building which had burnt down. Two locomotives were housed here while the branch passenger service still operated. The shed is believed to have closed in 1938.