Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Burghead, later passenger station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_283
PLACENAME
Burghead
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
14 June 1960
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
Harold D. Bowtell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27001
KEYWORDS
Burghead branch
Highland Railway
Burghead, later passenger station

This photograph shows the passenger station at Burghead which was built when the branch was extended to Hopeman, with a special train which toured many railway lines in Scotland in 1960.

The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when this passenger station was opened. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location. Passenger services were withdrawn on 14 September 1931 and goods services to Hopeman on 30 December 1957, after which the track through the station was lifted.

The locomotive is a Class 2P 4-4-0 built for the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in the 1920s, using a design which originated on the Midland Railway. This class was used on lighter passenger trains.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Burghead, later passenger station

MORAYSHIRE

1960s

Burghead branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the passenger station at Burghead which was built when the branch was extended to Hopeman, with a special train which toured many railway lines in Scotland in 1960. <br /> <br /> The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when this passenger station was opened. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location. Passenger services were withdrawn on 14 September 1931 and goods services to Hopeman on 30 December 1957, after which the track through the station was lifted. <br /> <br /> The locomotive is a Class 2P 4-4-0 built for the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in the 1920s, using a design which originated on the Midland Railway. This class was used on lighter passenger trains.