Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Burghead, later passenger station.
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_285
PLACENAME
Burghead
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
12 September 1958
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
Harold D. Bowtell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27003
KEYWORDS
Burghead branch
Highland Railway
Burghead, later passenger station.

This photograph shows the passenger station at Burghead which was built when the branch was extended to Hopeman, with a goods train standing at the platform. When this photograph was taken, the line ended just beyond the train. The train is ready to set off for the main line at Alves, possibly waiting while the crew had their 'piece'.

The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when this passenger station was opened. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location. Passenger services were withdrawn on 14 September 1931 and goods services to Hopeman on 30 December 1957, after which the track through the station was lifted.

The locomotive is an ex-Caledonian Railway 0-6-0, known as Jumbos on the Caledonian Railway but as Caledonian Barneys on the ex-Highland Railway lines. Many of these locomotives were built by the Caledonian Railway to handle goods and coal traffic and several were moved to the north of Scotland.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Burghead, later passenger station.

MORAYSHIRE

1950s

Burghead branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the passenger station at Burghead which was built when the branch was extended to Hopeman, with a goods train standing at the platform. When this photograph was taken, the line ended just beyond the train. The train is ready to set off for the main line at Alves, possibly waiting while the crew had their 'piece'.<br /> <br /> The railway line to Burghead from Alves, on the Elgin to Forres line, was opened on 22 December 1862 by the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway, which became part of the Highland Railway in 1865. The branch was extended to Hopeman on 10 October 1892, when this passenger station was opened. Goods facilities continued to be handled at the original location. Passenger services were withdrawn on 14 September 1931 and goods services to Hopeman on 30 December 1957, after which the track through the station was lifted. <br /> <br /> The locomotive is an ex-Caledonian Railway 0-6-0, known as Jumbos on the Caledonian Railway but as Caledonian Barneys on the ex-Highland Railway lines. Many of these locomotives were built by the Caledonian Railway to handle goods and coal traffic and several were moved to the north of Scotland.