Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dulnain Bridge, Carrbridge, with train
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_290
PLACENAME
Carrbridge
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1897
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27008
KEYWORDS
Main line
Highland Railway
Dulnain Bridge, Carrbridge, with train

This photograph shows a train standing on the bridge over the River Dulnain just north of Carrbridge station on the line from Aviemore to Inverness. The train consists of locomotive 'Burghead', a brake van and two elderly passenger coaches. It is most likely the shuttle service which operated initially from Aviemore before the line to Inverness was completed. The crew can be seen sanding on the steps of the locomotive.

Carrbridge was opened with a shuttle service from Aviemore on 8 July 1892. Services were extended to Daviot on 19 July 1897 and the through service introduced to Inverness on 1 November 1898. Passenger trains still call at the station but goods facilities were withdrawn on 27 February 1967.

'Burghead' was a 4-4-0 tank of the Jones Tank class. It was built in 1878 and withdrawn in 1928, spending most of its life on branch line duties.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dulnain Bridge, Carrbridge, with train

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1890s

Main line; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a train standing on the bridge over the River Dulnain just north of Carrbridge station on the line from Aviemore to Inverness. The train consists of locomotive 'Burghead', a brake van and two elderly passenger coaches. It is most likely the shuttle service which operated initially from Aviemore before the line to Inverness was completed. The crew can be seen sanding on the steps of the locomotive.<br /> <br /> Carrbridge was opened with a shuttle service from Aviemore on 8 July 1892. Services were extended to Daviot on 19 July 1897 and the through service introduced to Inverness on 1 November 1898. Passenger trains still call at the station but goods facilities were withdrawn on 27 February 1967.<br /> <br /> 'Burghead' was a 4-4-0 tank of the Jones Tank class. It was built in 1878 and withdrawn in 1928, spending most of its life on branch line duties.