Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Carrbridge Station north end
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_295
PLACENAME
Carrbridge
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
21 July 1956
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27014
KEYWORDS
Main line
Highland Railway
Carrbridge Station north end

This photograph shows the signal box at the north end of Carrbridge station, looking towards Inverness. This signal box, together with a second one at the south end of the station, was replaced by a new box built by extending the station building in the 1950s. A large water tank can be seen at the end of the northbound platform. The post to the left if it carried signal wires. Normally these are carried close to the ground but were carried high up at many Highland stations to avoid becoming buried in snow.

Carrbridge was opened with a shuttle service from Aviemore on 8 July 1892. Services were extended to Daviot on 19 July 1897 and the through service introduced to Inverness on 1 November 1898. Passenger trains still call at the station but goods facilities were withdrawn on 27 February 1967.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Carrbridge Station north end

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1950s

Main line; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the signal box at the north end of Carrbridge station, looking towards Inverness. This signal box, together with a second one at the south end of the station, was replaced by a new box built by extending the station building in the 1950s. A large water tank can be seen at the end of the northbound platform. The post to the left if it carried signal wires. Normally these are carried close to the ground but were carried high up at many Highland stations to avoid becoming buried in snow.<br /> <br /> Carrbridge was opened with a shuttle service from Aviemore on 8 July 1892. Services were extended to Daviot on 19 July 1897 and the through service introduced to Inverness on 1 November 1898. Passenger trains still call at the station but goods facilities were withdrawn on 27 February 1967.