Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Culrain Station with southbound train
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_340
PLACENAME
Culrain
DISTRICT
Tain
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kincardine
DATE OF IMAGE
14 September 1954
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
Harold D. Bowtell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27056
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Highland Railway
Culrain Station with southbound train

This photograph shows a southbound train entering Culrain station on the railway from Inverness to Wick and Thurso. The station was just south of the bridge over the River Oykell.

Culrain was opened on 1 July 1870 and is still open for passenger services, although goods facilities were withdrawn in 1964.

The train is hauled by No. 120 'Loch Ness', one of the Loch class 4-4-0s. This class was the last one to be design by Jones and was introduced in 1896 to haul passenger trains on the main line from Inverness to Perth. Later they were relegated to lesser duties and were withdrawn in the 1930s and 1940s.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Culrain Station with southbound train

ROSS: Kincardine

1950s

Far north line; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a southbound train entering Culrain station on the railway from Inverness to Wick and Thurso. The station was just south of the bridge over the River Oykell.<br /> <br /> Culrain was opened on 1 July 1870 and is still open for passenger services, although goods facilities were withdrawn in 1964.<br /> <br /> The train is hauled by No. 120 'Loch Ness', one of the Loch class 4-4-0s. This class was the last one to be design by Jones and was introduced in 1896 to haul passenger trains on the main line from Inverness to Perth. Later they were relegated to lesser duties and were withdrawn in the 1930s and 1940s.