Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Locomotive at Dalnaspidal Station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_345
PLACENAME
Dalnaspidal
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Blair Atholl
DATE OF IMAGE
15 May 1928
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
H C Casserley
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27061
KEYWORDS
Druimuachter
Main line
Highland Railway
Locomotive at Dalnaspidal Station

This photograph shows locomotive No. 14393 'Loch Laoghal' crossing between up and down lines at Dalnaspidal station, near the summit at Drumochter on the main line between Perth and Inverness. The photographer is looking west. The locomotive would have assisted a southbound train before being detached here and returned to Aviemore.

Dalnaspidal was opened c1864, the line through the station having been opened on 1 September 1863. It remained open, served by a limited number of passenger trains, until 3 May 1865. Goods services were withdrawn 27 January 1964. The line through the station remains open.

The locomotive was one of the Loch class 4-4-0s. This class was the last one to be design by Jones and was introduced in 1896 to haul passenger trains on the main line from Inverness to Perth. Later they were relegated to lesser duties and were withdrawn in the 1930s and 1940s.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Locomotive at Dalnaspidal Station

PERTH: Blair Atholl

1920s

Druimuachter; Main line; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows locomotive No. 14393 'Loch Laoghal' crossing between up and down lines at Dalnaspidal station, near the summit at Drumochter on the main line between Perth and Inverness. The photographer is looking west. The locomotive would have assisted a southbound train before being detached here and returned to Aviemore. <br /> <br /> Dalnaspidal was opened c1864, the line through the station having been opened on 1 September 1863. It remained open, served by a limited number of passenger trains, until 3 May 1865. Goods services were withdrawn 27 January 1964. The line through the station remains open. <br /> <br /> The locomotive was one of the Loch class 4-4-0s. This class was the last one to be design by Jones and was introduced in 1896 to haul passenger trains on the main line from Inverness to Perth. Later they were relegated to lesser duties and were withdrawn in the 1930s and 1940s.