Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dalwhinnie with northbound train
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_350
PLACENAME
Dalwhinnie
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Laggan
CREATOR
A G Ellis
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27066
KEYWORDS
Druimuachter
Main line
Highland Railway
Dalwhinnie with northbound train

This photograph shows Dalwhinnie station, north of the summit at Drumochter on the main line between Perth and Inverness. The photographer is looking towards Perth. A northbound passenger train hauled by No. 146 is seen passing an older 4-4-0 shunting in the sidings on the left.

Dalwhinnie was opened on 9 September 1863. It remains open for passenger trains. Goods services were withdrawn 27 February 1967.

The train is hauled by Castle Class No. 146 'Skibo Castle'. This class was introduced in 1900 to operate the express passenger trains on the main line between Perth and Inverness. They were later used on less important services. Some were transferred south to work trains to Oban from Glasgow and Stirling. Withdrawal took place in the 1930s and 1940s.

The train consists entirely of Highland Railway coaches, including, second from the locomotive, the Highland's Directors' Saloon.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dalwhinnie with northbound train

INVERNESS: Laggan

Druimuachter; Main line; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows Dalwhinnie station, north of the summit at Drumochter on the main line between Perth and Inverness. The photographer is looking towards Perth. A northbound passenger train hauled by No. 146 is seen passing an older 4-4-0 shunting in the sidings on the left. <br /> <br /> Dalwhinnie was opened on 9 September 1863. It remains open for passenger trains. Goods services were withdrawn 27 February 1967.<br /> <br /> The train is hauled by Castle Class No. 146 'Skibo Castle'. This class was introduced in 1900 to operate the express passenger trains on the main line between Perth and Inverness. They were later used on less important services. Some were transferred south to work trains to Oban from Glasgow and Stirling. Withdrawal took place in the 1930s and 1940s.<br /> <br /> The train consists entirely of Highland Railway coaches, including, second from the locomotive, the Highland's Directors' Saloon.