Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Northbound train entering Dingwall station.
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_368
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1930
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
LGRP
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27085
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Highland Railway
Stromeferry
Northbound train entering Dingwall station.

This photograph shows No. 14675 'Taymouth Castle' entering Dingwall with a train from Inverness to Wick and Thurso. The second coach is a dining car which was originally built for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. On the right can be seen the cattle dock.

The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.

The Castle class was introduced in 1900 to operate the express passenger trains on the main line between Perth and Inverness. They were later used on less important services. Some were transferred south to work trains to Oban from Glasgow and Stirling. Withdrawal took place in the 1930s and 1940s.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Northbound train entering Dingwall station.

ROSS: Dingwall

1930s

Far north line; Highland Railway; Stromeferry

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows No. 14675 'Taymouth Castle' entering Dingwall with a train from Inverness to Wick and Thurso. The second coach is a dining car which was originally built for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. On the right can be seen the cattle dock.<br /> <br /> The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.<br /> <br /> The Castle class was introduced in 1900 to operate the express passenger trains on the main line between Perth and Inverness. They were later used on less important services. Some were transferred south to work trains to Oban from Glasgow and Stirling. Withdrawal took place in the 1930s and 1940s.