Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Two trains at north end of Dingwall station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_369
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
LGRP
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27086
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Highland Railway
Stromeferry
Two trains at north end of Dingwall station

This photograph shows two trains at the north end of Dingwall station. On the left, No. 7 'Ben Attow' is heading a train from Inverness which will continue north on the line to Wick. The connecting train to Strathpeffer stands on the right, headed by a Passenger Tank.

The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.

The Small Ben class was introduced in 1898 to replace older locomotives on the lighter express duties on the lines north and east of Inverness. They could eventually been seen throughout the Highland railway system. Withdrawal took place mainly in the 1930s and 1940s, but some survived into the 1950s.

The Passenger Tank class consisted of four 0-4-4 tanks built in 1905-06 for branch line duties. Two of the class survived until the mid-1950s working on the Dornoch branch, the last Highland Railway locomotives in service.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Two trains at north end of Dingwall station

ROSS: Dingwall

1920s

Far north line; Highland Railway; Stromeferry

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows two trains at the north end of Dingwall station. On the left, No. 7 'Ben Attow' is heading a train from Inverness which will continue north on the line to Wick. The connecting train to Strathpeffer stands on the right, headed by a Passenger Tank.<br /> <br /> The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.<br /> <br /> The Small Ben class was introduced in 1898 to replace older locomotives on the lighter express duties on the lines north and east of Inverness. They could eventually been seen throughout the Highland railway system. Withdrawal took place mainly in the 1930s and 1940s, but some survived into the 1950s. <br /> <br /> The Passenger Tank class consisted of four 0-4-4 tanks built in 1905-06 for branch line duties. Two of the class survived until the mid-1950s working on the Dornoch branch, the last Highland Railway locomotives in service.