Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Northbound train arriving at Dingwall
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_370
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27087
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Highland Railway
Stromeferry
Northbound train arriving at Dingwall

This photograph shows the morning mail train entering Dingwall on its way from Inverness to Wick and Thurso. The second vehicle is a Travelling Post Office.

The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.

The train is hauled by a Stanier Black 5 4-6-0 No. 45361, a type introduced in the mid-1930s. For many years they powered the majority of trains north of Perth, until diesels took over in 1960-61.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Northbound train arriving at Dingwall

ROSS: Dingwall

1950s

Far north line; Highland Railway; Stromeferry

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the morning mail train entering Dingwall on its way from Inverness to Wick and Thurso. The second vehicle is a Travelling Post Office. <br /> <br /> The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.<br /> <br /> The train is hauled by a Stanier Black 5 4-6-0 No. 45361, a type introduced in the mid-1930s. For many years they powered the majority of trains north of Perth, until diesels took over in 1960-61.