Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Strathpeffer branch train at Dingwall
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_374
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
16 September 1929
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
K Nunn
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27094
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Highland Railway
Stromeferry
Strathpeffer branch train at Dingwall

This photograph shows the 7.25 am train to Strathpeffer about to leave Dingwall. The main platform is on the left. The locomotive is Passenger Tank No. 15051.

The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.

The Passenger Tank class consisted of four 0-4-4 tanks built in 1905-06 for branch line duties. Two of the class survived until the mid-1950s working on the Dornoch branch, the last Highland Railway locomotives in service.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Strathpeffer branch train at Dingwall

ROSS: Dingwall

1920s

Far north line; Highland Railway; Stromeferry

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the 7.25 am train to Strathpeffer about to leave Dingwall. The main platform is on the left. The locomotive is Passenger Tank No. 15051.<br /> <br /> The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.<br /> <br /> The Passenger Tank class consisted of four 0-4-4 tanks built in 1905-06 for branch line duties. Two of the class survived until the mid-1950s working on the Dornoch branch, the last Highland Railway locomotives in service.