Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
South end of Dingwall
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_378
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
PERIOD
1970s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27100
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Highland Railway
Stromeferry
South end of Dingwall

This photograph shows the south end of Dingwall station, taken from the footbridge. Goods facilities remain in use, although there is little traffic. The sidings and loop line on the left have been removed, as has the locomotive shed which was beyond the goods shed.

The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

South end of Dingwall

ROSS: Dingwall

1970s

Far north line; Highland Railway; Stromeferry

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the south end of Dingwall station, taken from the footbridge. Goods facilities remain in use, although there is little traffic. The sidings and loop line on the left have been removed, as has the locomotive shed which was beyond the goods shed.<br /> <br /> The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.