Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyle of Lochalsh Train at Dingwall
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_384
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
July 1989
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
Lewis McAllan
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27108
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Highland Railway
Stromeferry
Kyle of Lochalsh Train at Dingwall

This photograph shows a Class 37 locomotive heading a train for Kyle of Lochalsh at Dingwall. The coaches were specially allocated to the summer trains on the Kyle line and painted green and white.

The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.

The Class 37 locomotives date from the late 1950s and were used during the 1980s on services north and west of Inverness.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyle of Lochalsh Train at Dingwall

ROSS: Dingwall

1980s

Far north line; Highland Railway; Stromeferry

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a Class 37 locomotive heading a train for Kyle of Lochalsh at Dingwall. The coaches were specially allocated to the summer trains on the Kyle line and painted green and white.<br /> <br /> The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.<br /> <br /> The Class 37 locomotives date from the late 1950s and were used during the 1980s on services north and west of Inverness.