Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dingwall Locomotive Shed
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_386
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
16 July 1946
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Harold D. Bowtell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27110
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Highland Railway
Stromeferry
Dingwall Locomotive Shed

This photograph shows the locomotive shed at Dingwall, with two Highland Railway Small Ben class locomotives, Nos. 14415 and 14412, infront.

The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.

The Small Ben class was introduced in 1898 to replace older locomotives on the lighter express duties on the lines north and east of Inverness. They could eventually been seen throughout the Highland railway system. Withdrawal took place mainly in the 1930s and 1940s, but some survived into the 1950s.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dingwall Locomotive Shed

ROSS: Dingwall

1940s

Far north line; Highland Railway; Stromeferry

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the locomotive shed at Dingwall, with two Highland Railway Small Ben class locomotives, Nos. 14415 and 14412, infront. <br /> <br /> The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.<br /> <br /> The Small Ben class was introduced in 1898 to replace older locomotives on the lighter express duties on the lines north and east of Inverness. They could eventually been seen throughout the Highland railway system. Withdrawal took place mainly in the 1930s and 1940s, but some survived into the 1950s.