Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dingwall Sidings
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_387
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
July 1962
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
R Holmes
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27111
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Highland Railway
Stromeferry
Dingwall Sidings

This photograph was taken from the east side of the station and shows the sidings used for marshalling trains and storage. The passenger station is beyond; the awning of the main building can be seen to the left of the water tower. Many of the wagons seen would be in storage. There are several cattle wagons, but this traffic was rapidly being transferred to road transport at the time the photograph was taken. The coach in front was used by the engineers maintaining the railway.

The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dingwall Sidings

ROSS: Dingwall

1960s

Far north line; Highland Railway; Stromeferry

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph was taken from the east side of the station and shows the sidings used for marshalling trains and storage. The passenger station is beyond; the awning of the main building can be seen to the left of the water tower. Many of the wagons seen would be in storage. There are several cattle wagons, but this traffic was rapidly being transferred to road transport at the time the photograph was taken. The coach in front was used by the engineers maintaining the railway. <br /> <br /> The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.