Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Small Building, Dingwall Station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_401
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
June 2003
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Keith Fenwick
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27125
KEYWORDS
Far north line
Far north line
Highland Railway
Stromeferry
Small Building, Dingwall Station

This photograph shows the small wooden building on the northbound platform at Dingwall station, beside the road overbridge. It was built by the Highland Railway for use as the waiting room on the Strathpeffer Branch and was originally located on the other side of the bridge. In the 1970s it was used as the office of the Sub-Inspector of the Dingwall Permanent Way Gang (those who maintained the track and other infrastructure of the line) before being moved to its current location. The building may have been used for the storage of parcels. At the time of writing (2009) it is in a rather dilapidated state.

The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Small Building, Dingwall Station

ROSS: Dingwall

2000s

Far north line; Far north line; Highland Railway; Stromeferry

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the small wooden building on the northbound platform at Dingwall station, beside the road overbridge. It was built by the Highland Railway for use as the waiting room on the Strathpeffer Branch and was originally located on the other side of the bridge. In the 1970s it was used as the office of the Sub-Inspector of the Dingwall Permanent Way Gang (those who maintained the track and other infrastructure of the line) before being moved to its current location. The building may have been used for the storage of parcels. At the time of writing (2009) it is in a rather dilapidated state.<br /> <br /> The line from Inverness to Dingwall was opened on 11 June 1862. Services were extended northwards to Invergordon on 23 March 1863. On 9 August 1870, the station became a junction when the line to Strome Ferry was opened. The station remains open for passenger services, but goods services ceased in August 1983.