Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornoch Engine Shed
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_405
PLACENAME
Dornoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27129
KEYWORDS
Dornoch branch
Highland Railway
Dornoch Engine Shed

This photograph shows the locomotive shed at Dornoch, with an ex-Highland Railway 0-4-4T Passenger Tank standing outside. The photographer is looking north, with the station behind him.

Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960.

The Passenger Tank class consisted of four 0-4-4 tanks built in 1905-06 for branch line duties. Two of the class survived until the mid-1950s working on the Dornoch branch, the last Highland Railway locomotives in service.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornoch Engine Shed

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1950s

Dornoch branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the locomotive shed at Dornoch, with an ex-Highland Railway 0-4-4T Passenger Tank standing outside. The photographer is looking north, with the station behind him. <br /> <br /> Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960. <br /> <br /> The Passenger Tank class consisted of four 0-4-4 tanks built in 1905-06 for branch line duties. Two of the class survived until the mid-1950s working on the Dornoch branch, the last Highland Railway locomotives in service.