Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornoch Station with recently arrived train.
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_406
PLACENAME
Dornoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27130
KEYWORDS
Dornoch branch
Highland Railway
Dornoch Station with recently arrived train.

This photograph shows a train which has just arrived at Dornoch from The Mound. The locomotive can be seen in the distance after uncoupling from the train. It will then run round and shunt the goods wagons into the sidings. The train is a mixed train, carrying both passenger coaches and goods wagons. Mixed trains were quite common in the 19th century, but only used on specific lines, such as the Dornoch branch, in the 20th century.

Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornoch Station with recently arrived train.

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

Dornoch branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a train which has just arrived at Dornoch from The Mound. The locomotive can be seen in the distance after uncoupling from the train. It will then run round and shunt the goods wagons into the sidings. The train is a mixed train, carrying both passenger coaches and goods wagons. Mixed trains were quite common in the 19th century, but only used on specific lines, such as the Dornoch branch, in the 20th century.<br /> <br /> Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960.