Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Early photograph of a train waiting to leave Dornoch.
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_410
PLACENAME
Dornoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27134
KEYWORDS
Dornoch branch
Highland Railway
Early photograph of a train waiting to leave Dornoch.

This photograph shows the first train waiting to depart from Dornoch for The Mound when the line opened, hauled by a Lochgorm Tank, No. 56 'Dornoch'. The train consists of a mixture of coaches; the third one is an ex-Midland Railway clerestory brake coach.

Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960.

Three Lochgorm tanks were built between 1869 and 1874 for shunting. They were designed by William Stroudley and are similar to his much better known Terrier tanks on the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. They were withdrawn between 1927 and 1932. No. 56 was allocated to working the Dornoch branch, when it opened, and was given the name 'Dornoch'.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Early photograph of a train waiting to leave Dornoch.

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

Dornoch branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the first train waiting to depart from Dornoch for The Mound when the line opened, hauled by a Lochgorm Tank, No. 56 'Dornoch'. The train consists of a mixture of coaches; the third one is an ex-Midland Railway clerestory brake coach. <br /> <br /> Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960. <br /> <br /> Three Lochgorm tanks were built between 1869 and 1874 for shunting. They were designed by William Stroudley and are similar to his much better known Terrier tanks on the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. They were withdrawn between 1927 and 1932. No. 56 was allocated to working the Dornoch branch, when it opened, and was given the name 'Dornoch'.