Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Train leaving Dornoch station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_412
PLACENAME
Dornoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
DATE OF IMAGE
18 June 1947
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
W A Camwell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27136
KEYWORDS
Dornoch branch
Highland Railway
Train leaving Dornoch station

This photograph shows the 1.10pm train leaving Dornoch for The Mound on 18 June 1947. It is hauled by an ex-Highland Railway Passenger Tank.

Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960.
The Passenger Tank class consisted of four 0-4-4 tanks built in 1905-06 for branch line duties. Two of the class survived until the mid-1950s working on the Dornoch branch, the last Highland Railway locomotives in service.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Train leaving Dornoch station

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1940s

Dornoch branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the 1.10pm train leaving Dornoch for The Mound on 18 June 1947. It is hauled by an ex-Highland Railway Passenger Tank. <br /> <br /> Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960. <br /> The Passenger Tank class consisted of four 0-4-4 tanks built in 1905-06 for branch line duties. Two of the class survived until the mid-1950s working on the Dornoch branch, the last Highland Railway locomotives in service.