Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornoch with train from The Mound
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_419
PLACENAME
Dornoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
DATE OF IMAGE
11 September 1958
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
Harold D. Bowtell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27143
KEYWORDS
Dornoch branch
Highland Railway
Dornoch with train from The Mound

This photograph was taken at Dornoch station just after the arrival of a train from The Mound. The train is hauled by a 16XX Pannier Tank and consists of both passenger coaches and goods wagons. The locomotive is about to run forward to run round the train and shunt the wagons into the sidings.

Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960.

The 16xx class 0-6-0 Panier Tanks were introduced in 1949 by the Wester Region of British Railways as a development of earlier Great Western designs for light branch duties. Two of the class were transferred to the Scottish Region in 1957 to work the Dornoch branch. After its closure in 1960, there was little work for them.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornoch with train from The Mound

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1950s

Dornoch branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph was taken at Dornoch station just after the arrival of a train from The Mound. The train is hauled by a 16XX Pannier Tank and consists of both passenger coaches and goods wagons. The locomotive is about to run forward to run round the train and shunt the wagons into the sidings. <br /> <br /> Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960. <br /> <br /> The 16xx class 0-6-0 Panier Tanks were introduced in 1949 by the Wester Region of British Railways as a development of earlier Great Western designs for light branch duties. Two of the class were transferred to the Scottish Region in 1957 to work the Dornoch branch. After its closure in 1960, there was little work for them.