Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornoch Station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_422
PLACENAME
Dornoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
R Hamilton
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27146
KEYWORDS
Dornoch branch
Highland Railway
Dornoch Station

This photograph shows a train at Dornoch waiting to leave for The Mound. It is hauled by a 16XX Panier Tank, No. 1646.

Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960.

The 16xx class 0-6-0 Panier Tanks were introduced in 1949 by the Wester Region of British Railways as a development of earlier Great Western designs for light branch duties. Two of the class were transferred to the Scottish Region in 1957 to work the Dornoch branch. After its closure in 1960, there was little work for them.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornoch Station

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1950s

Dornoch branch; Highland Railway

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a train at Dornoch waiting to leave for The Mound. It is hauled by a 16XX Panier Tank, No. 1646. <br /> <br /> Dornoch was the terminus of a branch line from The Mound, opened as the Dornoch Light Railway on 2 June 1902. It was closed to all traffic on 13 June 1960. <br /> <br /> The 16xx class 0-6-0 Panier Tanks were introduced in 1949 by the Wester Region of British Railways as a development of earlier Great Western designs for light branch duties. Two of the class were transferred to the Scottish Region in 1957 to work the Dornoch branch. After its closure in 1960, there was little work for them.