Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Northbound 47463 entering Dunkeld, 1986
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_452
PLACENAME
Dunkeld
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally
DATE OF IMAGE
3 July 1986
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
Alex G Murdoch
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27175
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
HRS
Northbound 47463 entering Dunkeld, 1986

This photograph shows locomotive 47463 entering Dunkeld Station's northbound platform with signal box in background. The engine is a Class 47 locomotive, was built in May 1964 as D1586, renumbered 47463 in February 1974 and scrapped in November 1996. At the time the photograph was taken she was based in Cardiff.

Dunkeld (originally Birnam) was opened on 7 April 1856. 24 kilometres north of Perth it was the temporary terminus for seven years until the line was extended to Pitlochry.

The Perth & Dunkeld Railway obtained its Act of Parliament on 10 July 1854 for a line between Stanley Junction and Birnam, on the opposite side of the Tay to Dunkeld. The station was first served by the Scottish Midland Railway and then the Scottish North Eastern Railway before becoming part of the Highland Railway.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Northbound 47463 entering Dunkeld, 1986

PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally

1980s

Highland Railway; HR; railways;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows locomotive 47463 entering Dunkeld Station's northbound platform with signal box in background. The engine is a Class 47 locomotive, was built in May 1964 as D1586, renumbered 47463 in February 1974 and scrapped in November 1996. At the time the photograph was taken she was based in Cardiff.<br /> <br /> Dunkeld (originally Birnam) was opened on 7 April 1856. 24 kilometres north of Perth it was the temporary terminus for seven years until the line was extended to Pitlochry. <br /> <br /> The Perth & Dunkeld Railway obtained its Act of Parliament on 10 July 1854 for a line between Stanley Junction and Birnam, on the opposite side of the Tay to Dunkeld. The station was first served by the Scottish Midland Railway and then the Scottish North Eastern Railway before becoming part of the Highland Railway.