Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR & GNSR Junction at Elgin, 1970
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_480
PLACENAME
Elgin
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
August 1970
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
Forrest
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27202
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
flood
HRS
HR & GNSR Junction at Elgin, 1970

Elgin was where the Highland Railway met the Great North of Scotland Railway (GNSR). This photograph shows the junction - the HR line carries straight on and the GNSR is flooded in this view taken in summer 1970.

Elgin Station opened on 25 March 1858 and, after Inverness, was the largest town on the Highland network. The GNSR reached Elgin in February 1862 and their line, the Strathspey Railway, eventually reached the Highland Main Line at Boat of Garten. The latter part of the 19th Century was one of bitter wrangling and legal battles between the HR and GNSR.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR & GNSR Junction at Elgin, 1970

MORAYSHIRE

1970s

Highland Railway; HR; railways; flood;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Elgin was where the Highland Railway met the Great North of Scotland Railway (GNSR). This photograph shows the junction - the HR line carries straight on and the GNSR is flooded in this view taken in summer 1970.<br /> <br /> Elgin Station opened on 25 March 1858 and, after Inverness, was the largest town on the Highland network. The GNSR reached Elgin in February 1862 and their line, the Strathspey Railway, eventually reached the Highland Main Line at Boat of Garten. The latter part of the 19th Century was one of bitter wrangling and legal battles between the HR and GNSR.