Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
No.2 'Ben Alder' shunting carriage truck at Elgin, c1903
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_483
PLACENAME
Elgin
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1903
PERIOD
1900s
CREATOR
R K Blencowe 24549
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27205
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
HRS
No.2 'Ben Alder' shunting carriage truck at Elgin, c1903

This photograph shows Highland Railway locomotive No. 2, 'Ben Alder', shunting at the west end of Elgin station with a train behind and carriages in the siding.

'Ben Alder', a Small Ben class locomotive, was built in July 1898. She went on to carry the LMS number 14398 and was given the number 54398 by British Railways. She was scrapped in February 1953.

The two coaches to the right of the locomotive are interesting. The first one is carrying the short lived white and green livery introduced in 1902 and abandoned in 1903, the other coach is a 4 wheel third class coach from around 1865.

Elgin Station opened on 25 March 1858 and, after Inverness, was the largest town on the Highland network. The GNSR reached Elgin in February 1862 and their line, the Strathspey Railway, eventually reached the Highland Main Line at Boat of Garten. The latter part of the 19th Century was one of bitter wrangling and legal battles between the HR and GNSR.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

No.2 'Ben Alder' shunting carriage truck at Elgin, c1903

MORAYSHIRE

1900s

Highland Railway; HR; railways;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows Highland Railway locomotive No. 2, 'Ben Alder', shunting at the west end of Elgin station with a train behind and carriages in the siding.<br /> <br /> 'Ben Alder', a Small Ben class locomotive, was built in July 1898. She went on to carry the LMS number 14398 and was given the number 54398 by British Railways. She was scrapped in February 1953.<br /> <br /> The two coaches to the right of the locomotive are interesting. The first one is carrying the short lived white and green livery introduced in 1902 and abandoned in 1903, the other coach is a 4 wheel third class coach from around 1865.<br /> <br /> Elgin Station opened on 25 March 1858 and, after Inverness, was the largest town on the Highland network. The GNSR reached Elgin in February 1862 and their line, the Strathspey Railway, eventually reached the Highland Main Line at Boat of Garten. The latter part of the 19th Century was one of bitter wrangling and legal battles between the HR and GNSR.