Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR/GNSR junction at Elgin
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_487
PLACENAME
Elgin
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27209
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
HR/GNSR junction at Elgin

This photograph shows the junction of the Highland and Great North of Scotland Railways at Elgin Station. The GNSR line is the one curving to the left.

Elgin Station opened on 25 March 1858 and, after Inverness, was the largest town on the Highland network. The GNSR reached Elgin in February 1862 and their line, the Strathspey Railway, eventually reached the Highland Main Line at Boat of Garten. The latter part of the 19th Century was one of bitter wrangling and legal battles between the HR and GNSR.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR/GNSR junction at Elgin

MORAYSHIRE

Highland Railway; HR; railways;

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the junction of the Highland and Great North of Scotland Railways at Elgin Station. The GNSR line is the one curving to the left.<br /> <br /> Elgin Station opened on 25 March 1858 and, after Inverness, was the largest town on the Highland network. The GNSR reached Elgin in February 1862 and their line, the Strathspey Railway, eventually reached the Highland Main Line at Boat of Garten. The latter part of the 19th Century was one of bitter wrangling and legal battles between the HR and GNSR.